• ½ lb Gruyere cheese
• ¼ tsp paprika
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp pepper
Gewürztraminer and Pear compote
• 4 ounces (about 1 cup) dried pears, roughly chopped
• 1 cup apple cider
• 1/2 cup August Cellars Gewürztraminer
• 2 tablespoons orange blossom honey
• 3 whole cloves
• 1 stick cinnamon
• 1 star anise pod (or 1/8 teaspoon ground anise)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ½ bean)
• 1 strip lemon peel
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1cup Crème Fraiche (sour cream whipped together with some heavy cream would work)
• 1/4 cup Candied ginger sliced
Crisps: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Shred Cheese into a bowl then combine with other ingredients. On a parchment lined sheet pan make little piles of the cheese mixture, spread out to create 1.5inch circles. Place the pan into the oven and cook until the cheese has melted together and has browned, about 10 minutes.
Let cheese rounds cool completely before removing from parchment.
Store in the refrigerator; in an air tight container for up to a week.
Compote: Put all ingredients in medium saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The compote should be reduced in volume and be very thick. Remove cloves, cinnamon stick, and star anise. Serve warm or cool. Store in the refrigerator; in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Assembly: Place 1 teaspoon of compote on a crisp and top with a small dollop of crème fraiche. Garnish with a slice of candied ginger.